Wednesday, December 28, 2011

looking forward

I don't like the idea of resolutions. They're just MADE to be broken! While I think it's a great idea to set January 1 as the first day of a non-smoking life, or of a healthier diet, etc -- most resolutions are too vague to be effective. And they don't take into account that Life Happens. Things interrupt. Events disrupt plans.


I'm staying away from resolutions. I like making "goals" instead. For 2011, my goal was to run a mile without stopping. I did that. And it took me until November to do it (twice). Why November? Because I realized the year was ending and I hadn't reached my goal. So I did it. And I don't feel all that obligated to do it again. Maybe. Eh. Depends on how I feel.


So far, I have two goals for 2012. First, I'd like to become a competent knitter. To that end, I have a "how to knit" DVD that I've watched (with lots of REPLAY and PAUSE) with yarn and needles in hand. Now I've "cast on" (that's knitting lingo for "started") a pretty scarf called "Easy Drop Stitch Scarf." So far, I've completed about ten rows, and it's going well.


Second, I think I want to log 500 miles in 2012. Walking, running, swimming. Doesn't matter to me. 500 miles in a year is 9.62 miles a week. Easy-peasy, I say knowing how things like to turn and bite me in the ass. Over the xmas 4-day weekend, I walked over 12 miles, so it seems like a realistic and do-able goal.


These are both attainable goals which will require some effort on my part - but nothing at all like the effort it takes to quit smoking! No one will be injured in my knitting or walking (but when I quit smoking - it was dangerous to be in my general vicinity!).


I hope to check in here and keep myself accountable and updated on my progress. Surely, photos will follow in due course, but here is a photo of the scarf as made by someone who knows what they're doing!











No comments: