Friday, December 30, 2011

Knit Re-boot

I decided the drop stitch scarf was not a good first knit project. I chose too fine a yarn & too small needles (sock weight on size 6). Plus the lovely effect of multiple drop stitches made it impossible for me to maintain tension. So I put that project aside.

As I now know, I need a project that lets me practice the basic garter stitch - row after row of knit stitch. But that sounds boring, not lovely or satisfying (while necessary).

Enter the "Baktus Scarf." A super simple garter stitch scarf with the design element of adding a stitch every 4 rows - so I cast on 4 stitches - then go back and forth adding one stitch every four rows resulting in a gradual triangle. Then I'll get to a mid-point and start decreasing one stitch every four rows back to the ending 4 stitches. A lovely triangle - hopefully with no holes or other obvious boo-boos.
And I chose a bulky weight yarn and size 11 needles to make progress at more than a slow snail's pace.

After one night (and various DVR TV shows), I have knit over 11" of Baktus. I'm pleased with my progress, the pattern, and especially the yarn - Lion Brand Tweed Stripes in a pretty blue-purple-green gradation. Pic is scarf so far.

And I haven't forgotten that tomorrow will start in an ordinary way - just New Years Eve SIX years ago.

No comments: