Saturday, February 7, 2009

Biker Jenn


Okay - those of you who've know me for a long time would probably see the title "Biker Jenn" and remember my motorcycle days. Apparently, as a Grammy, I've gone back to the days of leg-power bikes. Is this my second childhood already?

Here's where I went wrong: I told the man I'm seeing that if only I had a bicycle, I'd ride down at the River Walk. But - oh well - since I don't have a bike, I guess I'll take a nap instead. He turned up the next day and said, "Since my mom isn't using her bike, she says YOU can ride it! Isn't that great?! We can ride together down at the River!"

Oh joy. I tried to remember the last time I actually rode a bicycle. And that took some advanced calculating skills. "Hmmm... if I'm 51 now... and the last time I really rode a bicycle was when I was 17 or so... " And back then, bikes had banana seats and no gears. His mom's bike has three sprockets and six gears for each sprocket. Now - that may mean something to you - but to me, it meant I was in for a world of trouble... All this because I wanted an excuse to take a nap!

I told him that I don't like being stupid - and I don't particularly like looking stupid - so I got a crash (no pun intended) course in Bikes 101. Off we went to ride. After a very cautious, slow, clumsy start - didn't want to fall and break a hip or anything --- I got the hang of it again. I found my favorite three gears and stuck with them. We rode for what seemed like a long way - until I consider my sister does 100 mile bike rides. <cringe> He says all together we rode about four miles. The part of me that was on the bike seat says it was further.
It was fun after all. We posed the bike wreck for me to send my mom & dad since they know my talent for awkwardness. He is fun to be around - makes me laugh - and he didn't make me feel like I looked stupid at all. Don't know how he pulled that off!

I may be getting the hang of Jessica's self-photography too!

1 comment:

Maggie27377 said...

I soooo enjoyed that! He is a REAL cutie and sounds like a really nice man. A REAL MAN! Some don't have a clue what it means to be a MAN, instead preferring to be A BOY. What a breath of fresh air eh? Hey, I used to bike, doing the long rides..it was fun and it was easy to maintain my figure back when I had a figure (LOL). For the uncomfortable backside, invest in some gel padded biking shorts. They are well worth it and will make the wordl of difference. On the other hand, a sore rear could mean a really nice massage.. he he he. I am soooo glad you've met such a nice man. Gives me hope that there ARE some really nice guys out there still.