Friday, September 23, 2011

CGOA Day one

I took the day off work to go to the Crochet Guild of America's Fall Conference at the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro NC today. My plans were made months ago when I signed up for two classes. I've never seen a CGOA event this close to me.

Today was my day to shop & look around and gawk and revel in a world where I'm not the solitary crocheter - where Ravelry is well-known, where other people love this stuff as much as me!

Without a timeline, I drove through pouring rain to the KCC, arriving around 10:30. I registered & got my goodie bag (yarn in a jumbo totebag from Lion Brand. Then I headed to the conference shopping floor. I was not disappointed! As I walked into the hall, the first thing I saw was a rack of free shopping bags! I turned toward a wall of crocheted items - candidates for "peoples choice" award. And there was Doris Chan who I've seen on several tv shows. I shopped around the room systematically (of course). I bought an ergonomic crochet hook I've seen advertised, but not available at Hobby Lobby. I was like a kid in Santa's toybox. I fondled lots of yarn. I lusted over high-priced yarns. I signed up for mailing lists. I saw Edie Eckman who wrote three of my favorite crochet books. I bought a keyring crochet hook, and decided $32 was too much for cool earrings. I smiled at my fellow shoppers. While taking a break to rehydrate (very important while drooling over yarn), I saw a sign announcing a Knit & Crochet Fashion Show starting in an hour. So I went back to the yarn and books and patterns and crafty ideas for more touchy-feely fun.

With about 15 minutes to spare, I snagged a front row seat at the Show. I talked to the lady next to me about other shows she's been to and we found we have our Sunday class together The show started and much ooohing and aaaahing followed. I loved it. I then went and ordered 4 skeins of one of the featured yarns from the show. And I bought a DVD of the Mosaic Crochet technique which I've heard good things about - and it's by the woman who'll be teaching one of my classes.

Feeling tired, I made a final lap around, still resisted the earrings and headed out. Still grinning ear to ear. The rain had stopped, which I took as a sign I should have a late lunch at Moe's!

Once home, I emptied my goodie bags and spread out my loot like a kid after Halloween. Four tote bags, a NantucketBagg, two new hooks, 4 skeins yarn ordered & 2 in hand, keyring hook, CGOA pin & bag, a DVD, and a pile of pamphlets & handouts & free patterns & adverts for future shows.

Tomorrow promises to be equally thrilling.

No comments: