Sunday, August 7, 2011

More Yarny Fun

I have become obsessed with my crochet projects. I only read on my lunch hour at work - I am crocheting or searching patterns or looking at lovely things on Ravelry.com. All of the Mumsies have been made for Jes' bridesmaids' bouquets. I've got three big projects underway - and they all make me smile! The biggest enabler is the Vannas Choice Fans Group on Ravelry. It is a very active, large group, and I am amazed daily at the items members post. They're the best online community I've ever found, and I've found countless patterns and projects to add to my Queue. There are swaps (usually of 9" or 12" squares) in specified colors to join - I participated in one swap based on Iris colors: purple, green, and white. I was pleased with the squares I made and mailed out all over the country, and now I'm just waiting on the last four squares to be delivered to me - then I'll just join them together for an afghan. While I enjoyed the swap very much, I realized that I didn't like the pressure to make "perfect" squares. So NOW I'm participating in two CAL's - Crochet-A-Longs. There is a set schedule to complete parts or the project to finish by a certain date. It's fun to see how other members in the group put their spin on one pattern - by use of color and techniques. The group also makes "comfortghans" for members going through tough times. For those, members volunteer to make one or two squares (in predetermined colors) and send them to the "joiner" who puts the squares together and sends it to the recipient. I've made two squares for two different comfortghans - one for a lady going through a separation that turned into divorce, and one for a lady who's father was in hospice, but he's now passed away. There is always someone there to answer technical questions - to share a good day, and a bad day. Several of the members have had their patterns published in "Interweave Crochet" or other magazines. Anyway - I'm loving it. I hate going to work, because I could spend that time crocheting!

I have two Weight Watcher meetings to LEAD this week, filling in Thursday night & Saturday morning. Nervous, but not too bad. I like telling myself that if I don't like it, I don't have to keep doing it! I can QUIT!

In the world's biggest headline from this past week: Chuck finally got a job! A full-time, NOT-TEMP job -- with BENEFITS and a pay raise and EVERYTHING! FINALLY! I definitely believe he wouldn't have done it without my bitching and pushing. Yeay me!

I'm off to crochet. of course.

No comments: