Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mabry Mill

Unlike me, my bf thinks we should actually DO something on the weekend. To me, "doing nothing" is perfectly acceptable pasttime for Sundays. There are football games to watch, naps to take, popcorn to munch while watching football games in between naps...

This past Sunday, he talked me into going up to Mabry Mill on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sounded like a good plan - he was going to drive, so I could still nap if necessary. Since Sunday was the NASCAR race in Martinsville (which was on our way), we played "How many state troopers can you count?" - much like "I Spy" only easier, because they were everywhere. In less than an hour, we had passed five of the sneaks lying in wait for unsuspecting speeders.

To get to the Mill, we had to go up Lover's Leap. For those of you who haven't had the immense pleasure of driving up a mountain, back and forth on severely sharp curvy steep roads, let me say that it made me sick. Thank goodness, I never got all the way seasick, I got a constant yucky headache that made it more 'enduro-driving' than fun. The Blue Ridge Parkway is well known for the beautiful foliage displays. I think we missed them by about two weeks. Ohwell. A leaf is a leaf. Here's the Mill. {I confess, with my head hurting as it was, I felt like, BIG DEAL!}

The bf was great about stopping at roadside stands. We never did buy any of the pumpkins, apples, gourds or gi-normous cabbages. And forgot all about finding the yarn shop I was supposed to be looking for! I am glad we went and enjoyed a lovely, clear, crisp fall day. Especially after the half Dramamine I took - I slept about four hours straight. Now THAT's a good nap!



No comments: