Monday, May 18, 2009

Volunteer Day - 2009

The company I work for allows us to take one day a year to volunteer - with pay. That's a nice thing.


This year I went with 3 friends from work to help the Danville Salvation Army lunch feeding program.

I think before this, the most people I had helped feed was maybe 20 or 30 at funerals, reunions - that kind of thing. Today, we prepared lunch for 100 and fed about 80. Our menu was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, bread and cookies.



We started with twenty-five pounds of hamburger, 3 green peppers, a bag of onions, a loaf of bread plus some rolls, etc. etc. etc!!!!! WOW!












Marsha, Lilly, Debbie & I did as we were told, mixing and stirring, then plating and serving, then cleaning up.


My fella has been volunteering at the Salvation Army for a while, so he made sure we didn't screw up too bad. We all ended up having a great fun day - we felt like we did something worthwhile that helped people who needed it.












We worked "harder" (more physically) than we do every day at our computer desk jobs - and our hearts were happier at the end of the day.




P.S. Don't get the idea that I need a mop bucket or anything for a birthday present! (Been there, done that - had the temper tantrum!).

No comments: