Sunday, November 9, 2008

Living on the River

I feel fortunate to live in a city on a river. I cross the Dan River every day going to work - and nearly every day I'm struck by its beauty. Sometimes calm and sluggish - sometimes fast and overflowing its banks ... Sometimes muddy brown or orange, sometimes blue or green ... It is as individual in its moods as any woman, as strong as any man. I often take it for granted. Today we took a long walk on the "Riverwalk" - crossed a footbridge over the river, walked the path beside the river - peaceful, powerful, beautiful. Not taken for granted today. There were geese and ducks. Maybe in my next life, I'll be a duck. Flying south for the winter -- paddling around on the water. If I'm not a bear, I'll be a duck.




We even got to see a train & wave at the conductor.
By the time we crossed the bridge back to the car, Maggie & I were both dragging. Ready for a nap!

No comments: