Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An Historic Day!

When I think about this election, I can't help but think of my dear therapist, Glen. During the gloom following Anna's leaving, I couldn't see anything worth living for. What positive thing did the future hold? This was the January - February - March 2006. Gray. Sad. Horrible, tear-filled days and nights. Why continue to live? I came to the conclusion that I couldn't add "Mother" to Jessica's list of people she'd lost to suicide ("husband and sister" being quite enough for one person's lifetime). So there. I was stuck. I had to keep existing. And I'd sit on Glen's couch and wail and cry and moan and groan. Jessica and Elisha didn't NEED me for anything in particular - no one did. I was faced with days and days of working, off time to sleep. That was my life. (Still is for a good portion) And Glen would listen. He helped me through somehow. He let me cuss and scream and cry and feel sorry for myself.

One day he did seem rather pleased with himself. He had an answer for my complaint of what was there to live for. The date, he said, was November 4th, 2008. An impossibly long way away when he told me - over two years away. Did I know what would happen that day? Not his birthday. Not when he'd get to retire or take a fabulous vacation. What could it be?

It would be the day George Bush would no longer be president. "But the new president won't be inaugurated until the following January" I protested. "Yes, but he will know that the country is sick and tired of him, and he will be OUT!"

What can I say? Glen was right. I am glad for the United States of America that change is coming. I am glad that Virginia went Democratic for the first time since LBJ. I am glad for Jessica and Elisha - this country may start to mend now. Thanks Glen. We made it.




No comments: