Monday, March 19, 2012

Sunday in Westeros


I love a day with nothing to do. I always have plenty of stuff to do, but I mean a day with nothing I HAVE to do! No chores, no duties, no responsibilities. That means lots of time for stuff I WANT to do - read, catch up on DVD viewing, crochet!

Sunday was a lovely day for that. After leisurely waking up, checking email & Facebook (in case something momentous was going on - which it wasn't) - I put "Game of Thrones" Season 1, DVD 1 in the DVD player & hit PLAY. AAAH - the luxury of seeing a fabulous book made in film so accurately, so well cast, just so damn well DONE! I love living in Westeros in my imagination while I listen to the books (via Audible.com) - now I have images to see. I'm currently listening to Book Three of the series, so going back and watching the first DVD was like watching a history lesson - these things already happened! I can't praise "Game of Thrones" highly enough. The characters are wonderful (well, the evil ones are really rotten!!) - the settings truly invoke a sense of place - and the plots are truly twisted! I love it. And one of the best things about series-reading is that "The End" doesn't mean the end! There's another book waiting for me! {sigh} I love that!

So ANYWAY! I fire up the DVD player and get out my afghan blocks. I'd noticed when I was putting them away that the block sizes wasn't uniform. That's bad. It meant the squares wouldn't line up when it comes time to join them all together. So I spent the first episode adding rows of border around the smaller squares to bring them all to a happy 13".

Then I pulled out my "Infinity Wrapped" that I'm making for myself. Pretty, huh? The pic above is the first motif halfway done. It is kinda tedious - first you make the five infinity shape motifs, then join them together by making six rows of border on one side, then make six rows of border on the other side, then put more border around the whole thing with little bobbly things all around! Whew!!! So far, I've made & joined the motifs and made six rows of border on one side. Tonight, I added the first row of border on the opposite side. It's a lot of counting and making sure you do the right stitch at the right place to keep the smooth curvy lines going. I know I will love it when I'm done. I think it may be called the "Infinity Wrap" because the border goes on and on and on and on...


No comments: