Sunday, June 13, 2010

Feeling 5K-challenged

With less than a week before my "running" 5K, the reality of impossibility is setting in. I know, I know - not the right attitude. I accept that I won't run the whole thing - but I'm seriously wondering if I'll be able to finish!?! Today in my 'Couch to 5K' schedule, I was supposed to warmup brisk walk 5 minutes, run 5, walk 3, run 8, walk 3, run 5, walk 5... that's 23 minutes 'running.' I went to the GW track to change up the routine - it was early and cool; I had the track to myself. I did it. {Side note: my right hamstring was KILLING me after my last workout, so I stretched it much more before and after today - and it feels great now!}

BUT! It's 1/4 mile around one lap of the track - I started on the outside lane, and moved in a lane every lap to keep up with how many times around I went - I did my cool-down 5 minutes on the inside lane #7... so that's ? a 1.75 mile in 30 minutes? The 5K (THIS SATURDAY!) is 3.1 miles. So I'm looking at "running" the 5K in an HOUR? I was WALKING the 5K in 45 minutes! HUH?!!! I know I'm not catching anything on fire running fast, but that just seems ridiculous. How can I possibly be burning more calories jogging than when I was walking as fast as I could? Just the jiggling of all the fat burns more?

I am pretty realistic about things. I know I'm 52 years old. I know my ability level. I don't want to totally embarrass myself Saturday. Even if I don't know any of those people. Still. I'd rather they don't have to send the little golfcart up the path to get me. I think the alien that had possessed me had the confidence, and I think the alien has left the building...

No comments: