Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Workday Blues

I am sad about work. Work. Where I spend the majority of my waking hours. Where if you'd asked me six months ago who my best work buddies were, I'd've said, "Marsha & Summer!" Where my 'special project' is mostly over and it's back to fighting for scraps of actual work to do with the rest of the hungry puppies. Where I keep trying to figure out, "Why am I here?" I know that I'm vastly under-employed with no chance of any real advancement, because I just do NOT like ass-kissing at this stage in my life. I have entered the stage of life called, "Get fucking real!" I know that I used to work to support my family - to provide for my daughters. Now that's not the reason anymore, and I'd like someone to support ME for a change. I'm sure that part of my malaise is that I see people laid-off all around me. They're doing okay. Their unemployment is stretching to fit. I don't know anybody losing their home (thank goodness). I would absolutely love a month - or two - or even three - without having to hear that alarm clock at 5:50 in the morning and thinking, "I DON'T WANT TO GO TO WORK!"

Summer was laid off a while back (and immediately had alternate full-time employment). Today was Marsha's last day - she's quitting to spend time with her husband this summer while he's off work, then hoping to find something part-time this fall. I am SO going to miss her - her sense of humor, her comfort, her no-nonsense advice.

Shit.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

No comments: