Friday, July 10, 2009

splish splish, part 2

The day after the water. LUCKY FOR ME I had already planned today as a vacation day to go to a waterpark with the bf for his birthday (yesterday). We decided to postpone the trip til probably Sunday. Honestly, I've had enough waterslides for a day or so.



Yesterday I did exceedingly well. I maintained a positive, cheerful outlook, almost excited about getting rid of that carpet I've been hating for so long. Yesterday was my bf (boyfriend)'s birthday, so we went out to dinner. On the way, I was telling him, "Boy, back in the old days, this emergency would've had me crying and sobbing and miserable. I bet Ramona can just imagine me falling apart over the crisis! But I'm fine - no problem at all!"



True, until I went to take a shower last night. Yesterday was a humid day, and I worked. Not like I usually do, in a lumbar-supported computer chair. I moved boxes of stuff to higher ground. I scooped water up in whatever I could find. I soaked and wrung out towel after tower after towel. I sweated. I splashed in water for hours. Last night, I was tired and the adrenaline rush of diving (no pun intended) into a crisis had long gone. I got ready to step into my shower, and the water never got hot. I realized the water had put out the pilot light in the hot water heater. I went to bed stinky and sticky and in a very foul mood with only a cold sponging off. This morning I tried and tried to get the burner to light, but it wouldn't. After using up my vocabulary of bad words (in new and innovative combinations!), I called the guys helping with the water damage and asked for help. The burner is shot (which I just had replaced in February or March of this year). And naturally, there are none in town - it has to be ordered. Hopefully it will be here by Tuesday. LUCKY FOR ME I can go to the bf's house for a shower.

We had a scare when I went to wash a load of stinking, soaking towels I used yesterday. It had appeared the washer was ruined, but LUCKY FOR ME the bf got that going again. Also, when they were working in the laundry room yesterday, they knocked down a bunch of clean clothes I had hanging up, so they got stinky and soaked too. Now I can wash them. In cold water, but they will be clean. Fingers crossed the dryer still works.

I have reached my limit of crises, however. Today I have cried and cussed and screamed. Naturally, none of those things helped a bit, but at least I felt like I was DOING something. Gone is 'Miss-Happy-I'm-Getting-New-Carpet." She's been replaced with 'Miss-I-will-cry-on-you-if-you-tell-me-one-more-thing-isn't-working' or her evil twin 'Miss-Get-the-Fuck-Outta-My-Face-Right-NOW!'


On another less smelly note, since I will be getting new flooring downstairs (and I haven't decided on what yet), the bf is taking up the brick that was laid under the woodstove that I got rid of a dozen years ago. So when the new floor is put down, that yucky brick won't be there. You can see it in the photo below - it's what the bicycles are sitting on. I've been wanting to get rid of that since the woodstove left.

Jessica has been stressing over how to replace some floors in her new house. She has offered free advice summaries of all the advice SHE has been given. On the one hand, I have wanted to put down wood laminate flooring throughout the entire downstairs forever. Dust mop and done. On the other hand, whatever I get will be going on ancient tile over concrete. The surface is not completely flat. So I should go with carpet. That's my mom's vote - a Berber with good pad under it. So what do I do in the kitchen then if that has to come up? I don't want carpet in the kitchen? So I go back with inlaid? They don't make me near as happy as the laminate does. And what about the stairs? If I put down new carpet downstairs, the old carpet on the stairs will look like shit - will that have to be replaced too, even if it wasn't water damaged? Or is that out of MY pocket too? And how long am I going to be in this house anyway? It's way too big for me now, and I truly want to downsize, so I don't want to invest a lot of $$ in a floor i won't be enjoying. So that means carpet. Or not. At times like these, it does NOT suit to be a Libra.

At least I know that I can take a shower tonight. If not at the bf's, then at Jessica's. That's something.

2 comments:

Cynthia I Maddox said...

well.....at least that tile in your living room is not totally hideous....

New carpet... winter is coming, you'll be glad you did.

Maggie27377 said...

I replaced ALL of my carpet with laminate years ago and I LOVE it! If there is ANY way laminate will work get it! If you have pets, it is FABULOUS. You don't have to worry about tracking in mud, rain, dirt, anything. Just wipe and you're good! Yes, a bit cold in the winter, but wear some of those warm, crocheted socks you make! OR get some area rugs. It does not stain, and it does not dent. I dropped a FULL gallon of paint on it and NO DENT! I also got paint on it, it dried, and I just scraped it off with a puddy knife! How fab is that? Depending on how uneven your floors are...but I'm sure mine aren't perfct and it worked fine. Only regret I have with laminate is the color I picked out. Other than that...it is the best thing since sliced bread! LAMINATE THE WORLD!!!!!